I suggest you ...

Move header database to SD card

Currently, the newsrob database is stored in internal flash, which is a scarce resource on most Android phones.
it consumes up to 3MiB of flash when there are a lot of unread articles, which is even larger than the apk file itself.

It would be good to store the database in the same location as the article cache, so the user has the option of putting it either on the internal flash or SD card.

101 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John WinfieldJohn Winfield shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • szsz commented  · 

and basically, would this mean there is a "full" backup of newsrob, even on a non rooted phone?

• RobRob commented  · 

+1

Given the limited on board storage of my phone I'd really like to see this. I can't spare the 2+ MB this uses.

• Илья Прокатор(Prokator)Илья Прокатор(Prokator) commented  · 

Moving of DB to real SD card dramaticly increased speed for newsrob.
        I had some strange experience with reboot of device (lost information about loaded articles), but probably because of memory DB caching and several changing of newsrob.debug file.
        I hope you will leave this functionality for the livetime of this not correct working device.
        Also it will be excellent if you will add this type of tweak for loaded content files (speed of not yet loaded files was excellent, but for loaded 1-2s), but in any way - thank's a lot.

• Илья Прокатор(Prokator)Илья Прокатор(Prokator) commented  · 

Hope this will also help with extremely low perfomance on devices like Samsung Galaxy S with slow internal SSD (but only in case of custom location, because standart SD card location /sdcard is also mounted to slow perfomance internal SSD. Real SD card is placed in /sdcard/sd)

• Alan RobertsonAlan Robertson commented  · 

I've got an HTC Desire so would definitely support this!

Feedback and Knowledge Base