I suggest you ...

Make sort order toggleable

Currently NewsRob sorts the articles in the Article List chronologically descending.
In the future it should also be possible to change the sort order.

65 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mariano KampAdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mariano KampAdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

No, it's actually inefficient on the server side and Google would prefer it the other way round.

You can submit a new suggestion and when it gets voted up I can talk to them about it again, but I suspect it would also not be a small effort on my part and I am not even sure if that is really possible with the API. To give you an example, I read most stuff incrementally by letting the server know when I was last there, that is also not possible the other way round.

Anyway I was talking about Settings/Sync/Sync Type. Could you please check exactly that? You can go through the latest one thousand unread articles with it and mark those as read and sync again, then it will take in older unread articles to fill up to a 1000 unread articles again.

• Hector CrespoHector Crespo commented  · 

I have it set to "unread only" I believe by default. You say that it would not be efficient, is there any way of making this an option that's off by default? Only reason I ask is because I tend to let the feeds build up and go through them every so often if bored or if I have the time. With sites like gizmodo, kotaku, and io9 though, I'd rather not miss the old articles.

No, there is not. It is not efficient for the GR backend to go by oldest.

Anyway, what have you got in Settings/Sync/Sync Type? Maybe "Unread Only" will give you what you actually need.
        Also check Settings/Local Cache/Reading List.

Hello Mariano, I see the option in the settings but Newsrob goes back only a few days. Right now, my oldest is from 5/13, today it's 5/15. Is there any way of telling Newsrob to go back to your oldest?

• HeathHeath commented  · 

"If there is one thing we learned in beta testing the new toolbar, it is the importance of muscle memory. " You seemed to have forgotten this when adding the sort button... the size change of the other three buttons is very annoying. Sort should be moved to the menu so the other buttons can keep a uniform size. Thanks.

Hi Andrew, great!

The next build (tomorrow?) will let you set a global default which will be used to initialize the order. Of course you can always toggle it with the toolbar.

• Andrew KunkelAndrew Kunkel commented  · 

The new sort button has really helped me use NewsRob as my primary mobile reader. My only request for that option would be to make it remember your preferred sort order. It is not a big deal to just hit the button, I just noticed that I would forget every once and a while and start reading in the wrong order.

• gnudocgnudoc commented  · 

I absolutely love newsrob, and cannot believe I ever got by without it. I can't remember exactly when I started using it, but I think it was the first or second app I ever installed on my g1, so possibly 16 months or so. I bought the pro version at the higher price intentionally.

For me, NR will be feature-complete when this is implemented. I *always* read my feed articles oldest first, and there's almost always a few hundred, so it's a pain to go down to the bottom of the list!

Thank you Mariano, for such a wonderful app, and all your hard work.

Adding a "oldest first" toggle would be great when downloading your feeds, especially when reading all your feeds at once.

• yeshlynchyeshlynch commented  · 

Really, I just want it to show the oldest first, so that I read them in order... a few of my feeds need this to make sense, and I hate scrolling all the way to the bottom just to start reading. That said, I saw an option to donate toward this project (with Pro) and did it right away - Newsrob is my most used app.

Paul, let's do one focused feature at a time. This way it is easier for me to implement them and people know what they are voting on.

Works for you?

• paul.trevinopaul.trevino commented  · 

and be able to set this at the individual feed level versus for all feeds.

Yes, I also consider this feature "cool" and btw. I was a byline user on the iPhone before NewsRob ;)
        Having said that. Besides being cool and easy on the eyes I don't see the value in that. As a consequence other users will demans the way it is today and I hate to add many different ways for the same to NewsRob.

• Louis-Philippe BrochLouis-Philippe Broch commented  · 

What would also be cool would be to have sorted chronologically (like we have currently) and by feeds with little headers about each article "groups". So you can select "all articles" in a folder but still easily know to what feed the articles belongs (like implemented in Byline or Feeder on the iPhone).

Feedback and Knowledge Base