I suggest you ...

Option not to download articles older than a day

I'd like to be able to download the paper in the morning to be able to read offline on the train, but this requires logging into google reader and marking all articles older than a day as read. Would be great if NewsRob could do that for me.

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    andrewhstevenson shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) responded  · 

I will take this into consideration.
    For your described issue, I am wondering why this is a problem? You will have the most recent articles and the sorting will show the most recent articles first, so you can just stop reading, when you have enough current articles, but if you have more time you could just keep going, right?

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mitesh commented  · 

I think not just a day but have the option NOT to download anything older than x days. A lot of my tech articles once read ,they fill up with stuff from a year ago so mostly irrelevant or not interesting anymore. So this eats into my 500 article limit I have set. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for a great app though.

• Kevin commented  · 

To answer your question, Mr. Kamp, I don't want to read old articles. And implementing this feature would help save space/battery since you'd only download the stuff I wanted. Perhaps you could make this feature an option that someone could select? I have no idea if that's possible or not.

While I'd love to see this for the reasons listed above, if you could add the date/time stamp then we would know which articles were more than 1 day old...

Thanks again for all of your great work on this app!

• alex.comer commented  · 

I put in a new suggestion under "stop busy feeds from drowning out quiet feeds", because that, for me, is the focus of the issue. It seems to me the easiest way is to put a reading list length setting under the "manage feed" menu, but if there are other advantages to doing it by date, it would have the same effect.

Cheers!

• AdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Alex, exactly the retirement of articles I have full control over.

I outlined a possible solution here: http://groups.google.com/group/newsrob/msg/cfc4c4926f9c9a36
        If you agree with it you can turn it into another suggestion if you like. In the linked post I mention it to be based on time (24h/36h...), but it could also be based on number of articles. I don't really know what's better, but I don't want to implement both.

• alex.comer commented  · 

Isn't the real problem that when the reading list exceeds it's limit, the oldest articles are deleted first, regardless of which feed they come from? This means frequently changing feeds will quickly push out articles from other, less busy feeds.

Would it be possible to set the reading list size on a per feed basis? If so, this is a feature I'd really love to see added to this great piece of software ;o)

• AdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Max, it is not that I don't understand the problem. The issue at hand is that I can't sync each feed individually, that would be way to inefficient. Some people have 50, some 500, some 1500 feeds. I can't ask for each feeds individual items 24 times a day (hourly sync).

• Max commented  · 

The problem with managing this through a global setting is that feeds have different expiration speeds: Newspaper articles will go stale within 24 hours (breaking news even quicker, weekly publications naturally slower) - I have found myself disabling autosync on BBC News for example, and instead now sync on demand after having marked all "read" - this obviously runs counter to the reader's purpose and becomes all the more problematic because the local storage capacity is set globally as well: Thus some often updated feeds swamp the cache with already "aged" news.
        I believe it is crucial that both expiration time and capacity can be set at the feed level.

• andreas.wilm commented  · 

If you get limit the sync to a certain time range (e.g. a day) this would be handy. Doing so, you could avoid syncing all your feeds if you only wanted to read the news of the day

Feedback and Knowledge Base