I suggest you ...

Add widget support - showing latest headlines

Add a widget support for showing the latest headlines/articles for a selected feed.

For best result widget support should come in selectable sizes, say [3x2, 3x3,3x4], [4x1,4x2,4x3,4x4].

The number of articles/headlines displayed varies with size of the feed.

Clicking a article/headline should show the description or optionally Display web page (Like 'Manage feed')

Optionally a small widget (1x1) would only show unread count (a number) of the selected feed.

256 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    droidgrendroidgren shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • gabrielgabriel commented  · 

Keep in mind those large tablet screens, so I would like to have a sizeable widged, like the gmail inbos one I have seen in a honeycomb tablet.

• gabrielgabriel commented  · 

Keep in mind those large tablet screens, so I would like to have a sizeable widged, like the gmail inbos one I have seen in a honeycomb tablet.

• marsha||marsha|| commented  · 

You should definitely have a look at Pure Messenger widget. The visual customization and smooth scrolling are great. I envision your widget being that nice. By the way, your app is hands down my most used and favorite Android app. Keep up the good work sir!

• Mariano KampAdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Fer, not to easy. A widget is a pretty tight integration as the two apps need to be tied together using the data model and as a consequence both apps cannot grow independently anymore.

I will implement a widget however, but it will likely take until the end of the summer. There is an upcoming release around the corner and after that the release will be Honeycomb centered, after that the widget is very likely to happen.

• FerFer commented  · 

Why don't you integrate it with other existing widgets, like pure scrollable widget. We are asking him to integrate with newsrob. ;-)

• masterjomasterjo commented  · 

@Mariano:
        Regarding litter in the add widget dialog, check this out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=780828
        I used to bug developers if they could add a "enable/disable widget size" to get rid of the options I don't use.
        The AppWidgetPicker now takes care of that in a beautiful and unobtrusive way. Sad that this is not implemented in native Android!

• JavierJavier commented  · 

In my opinion, it would be nice a widget 4X1 or 4X2, that shows the most recent feeds (from a label that you should choose before) with headline and the first words from the description or introduction, and an image.

• Brian RubinBrian Rubin commented  · 

I too would loooooooooooooove a full-blown headlines widget for NewsRob. Two examples of how it can be done right ate Buzzbox and the Scrolling Google Reader Widget.

• MichaelMichael commented  · 

If you are looking for ideas/suggestions for a widget view, I like the "feedr" widget a lot. It allows you to configure which feed sources are visible on the widget. It shows the latest 10 items in each feed, with little arrows that let you cycle through the enabled feeds. It's also transparent, so it looks cool.

• Go3tt3rbot3Go3tt3rbot3 commented  · 

thx anyway for your work! i love your app and its the most used on my Android!! i'm realy looking forward to get the widget. but take your time to get it perfect.
        FG
        AleX aka Go3tt3rbot3

• Mariano KampAdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

tgwaste, yes it is. But I see this an indications of interest, not as orders. I try to pick one item from the top ten for every release.

Having said that, I am willing to work on that, but I don't have a clear picture yet how this widget should really look like (news head lines as headlines only, or article snippets) and how to deal with the different formats people want, but without littering the add widget dialog with seven different dimensions.

• tgwastetgwaste commented  · 

any news on this feature? isnt this request the 2nd highest voted request?

• johnnyjohnny commented  · 

Hi. I really like the look&feel of this app. But in my opinion, a widget is crucial. Most people I know, including me, devote a screen to one of these apps, and I personally don't like to have several programs doing the same thing

• DISk .DISk . commented  · 

something new about this?

• AleXAleX commented  · 

Hey Mario,
        1. Thx for your work and your App. Its the most used App on my N1!! (next to AndroidPit.)
        2. when dose the widged comes? cant wait to creat a new 8th screen just for your widged/app ;)

• AlexandreAlexandre commented  · 

Version 4.4 is not working on Xperia X10 Mini.

•  Jay Jay commented  · 

I agree with a widget of this nature but please don't clog the widgets folder with a bunch of widgets titled newsrob 1x4, newsrob 2x4 etc. It makes the widget list ugly. Make the widget size configurable in the newsrob app itself.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base