I suggest you ...

Create 'Share in Google Reader' intent

It would be good to have an intent exposed by NewsRob so that articles / URLs / Notes can be shared as a Google Reader article from anywhere in the Android EcoSystem, using the Google Reader 'Notes' functionality.

I envisage it'd work as a long-press on a URL which would pop up a dialog with fields for Title, Content/Excerpt, and URL (so one can be manually typed if necessary). Once the user clicks okay, a shared note with the URL etc would be created in reader.

It would be pretty cool if this could work for selected text and images too but those are probably enhancements to the basic functionality.

Something else to consider might be to add support for sharing with the URL converted via a URL-shortening service (although this can be achieved using the Android 'URL Shortener' app - the user would share to that, and then share the shortened URL to NewRob.

114 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    webreaperwebreaper shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Leszek CiesielskiLeszek Ciesielski commented  · 

Google Reader 'merge' with Google+ has now removed this functionality, so I guess this ticket is no longer valid.

• webreaperwebreaper commented  · 

Is this still on the list? :)

• Mariano KampAdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Uh, that makes my head spin Mark ;)

I plan to implement this in the first half of the year, but closer to the end than the beginning.

• webreaperwebreaper commented  · 

By the way, I found a sort-of workaround for this, but it's a bit kludgy.

1. Create an Instapaper account
        2. Install Share More, TLDR or InstaFetch on your phone
        3. Set up a Google Reader subscription for the 'Unread Items' instapaper feed.
        4. When you see an article you'd like to read later, long-press and share to whichever instapaper client you installed in step 2.

I tried this and it kindof works, in that the articles/links I want to read later are sent to Instapaper, and then feed through to Google Reader (and NewsRob) via RSS.

It's slow, though. The ability to share directly as a note into NewsRob would be much nicer. :)

• Hector MartinezHector Martinez commented  · 

is the only feature for which I haven't purchased the application, i'll buy it for encourage you to make =)

Feedback and Knowledge Base