I suggest you ...

Behave more intelligently for 'autosync' when network unavailable

If the user is reading articles and then stops, but when the 5-min sync to update GR with the read articles runs the device has no connectivity, NR doesn't always successfully sync.

For example, I read 100 articles on the train, but because of the Android bug #2845 the connection didn't re-aquire for 45 minutes (when I forced it by toggling Airplane mode). Unfortunately, this seems to mean that the auto update never happened. However, once I did a manual refresh the correct updates were made and GR was up to date.

It would be good if NR could recognise this scenario and set a notification on 'connection available' event so that if the phone is offline when the article sync is attempted it'll retry as soon as a connection is available? This will give the best chance of the article-sync working.

Obviously, it's possible that the network might only be available for a very short time, and in sporadic/patchy coverage there's a danger of repeatedly trying/failing to sync. I'd suggest that maybe NR tries to re-sync on the 'network-is-up' event 3 times, and if it's failed to sync successfully, then abandons the attempt altogether.

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)