I suggest you ...

Quick button to see all Starred Articles

I'd like it if there was a menu option that just jumped me directly to the all recently starred articles page.

Sometimes, I just want to quickly see the articles I starred recently, either immediately after I open up the app or while browsing one of my feeds. On my Droid 2.0.1, there's a small lag between button presses, so a lot of time is wasted clicking on "my recently starred," then on "all articles." The size of the buttons (very thin, possibly due to the 854x480 resolution) also causes some misses, adding even more time before I get to the full recently starred articles list.

120 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Min KimMin Kim shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AndCycleAndCycle commented  · 

would you consider a dual release?
        some apps like JuiceDefender and Meridian release stable and beta ver on market,
        let user chose what they want

• Mariano KampAdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Annuvin, yeah, that's a good idea and I will think about it a bit more.
        However I am still thinking what to do with the pinned articles.
        I'd like to have a clear picture of that too, before I move, because I hate to release something and then roll it back in the next release.
        That's just confusing.

• Sagi KorenSagi Koren commented  · 

I don't know if I use Google reader and Newsrob as others but when I find an article I like on my PC I hit the star button to read it later... I do the same on newsrob.
        When I go back later to Google reader, I always see Starred Items 'button' on the left to easily access my articles.
        Only difference is that on Newsrob I need to click that extra button.

• annuvinannuvin commented  · 

I can see that. Right now you present starred articles like it is a normal feed. What if you somehow distinguish it from normal feeds, so that it is understood that standard feed rules do not apply? I am not sure the best way to do this, but I am guessing some visual difference, or some different way of accessing it might be sufficient.

Because it is inconsistent. It's not a huge issue in isolation, but when going down that road with more decisions that NewsRob becomes hard to understand ... even harder than today.

Why not just have an option under settings to "Show starred items all the time" and when selected, you will always see 'my recently starred' regardless of the 'read/unread mode' you're on?

Maybe not for notes, but for pinned articles: https://newsrob.uservoice.com/forums/35624-general/suggestions/971597-create-a-filter-for-pinned-articles-just-like-rea?ref=title

And it makes sense too.

For starred I would see the solution to toggle a button that shows the hollow circle, solid circle and a star (read + unread starred articles). But this wouldn't help me with the pinned articles.
        For the pro users many see pinned as "I scanned this article and will read when I have the time". So it makes sense to hide those.

The easiest solution would be to have a button as the replacement for the circular button, only that it would show a popup dialog where you could tweak what you want to see / not see.
        There are two draw backs however.
        One is that it becomes a bit gimmicky when you can chose between many modes and possibly even have to.
        The other issue is that even when you have selected your preference in the popup how do I convey that to the user after the pop up is closed, i.e. how do I condense that result to a single icon?

• annuvinannuvin commented  · 

I agree with bigtony - I do not think the read/unread argument applies to starred items. Plus, it lines up with the web app functionality as well. I do not think that if you implement this, you will need to extend that functionality to lots of other areas such as notes. I don't see a highly ranked request for extending notes functionality, after all. :)

If only I could use more than 3 votes on this one :-)....

• ggfb20ggfb20 commented  · 

I agree, the starred items are the most important to me, and I would love to be able to refer to them always and directly from nr.

• bigtonybigtony commented  · 

Mariano

Nice app - I just purchased the pro version.

I think I can explain this request a bit better: In the Google Reader web interface, if you click the link "Starred items", then the interface shows you all starred items, regardless of their read status (of course, they are all read by definition). So the concept of read/unread is just not relevant to starred items in the web interface. So I would like to ask that you implement the equivalent in NewsRob.

if you are intending to add an easy one-tap show/hide read articles, then I think you could address this issue here by always showing the "my recently starred" label at all times - force it to be shown regardless of whether it contains unread items. Then when you view "my recently starred", implement an over-ride which shows read items just for this view. But the show read/unread toggle should be preserved for when you browse labels.

This approach will make the app similar to the web interface.

Hope this suggestion is helpful.

Thanks for the app again

Big tony

nmn, do you have the free or the pro version? In the pro version "my recently starred" is not a good name, because it also syncs the starred articles from your account. You can configure NewsRob to sync up to 200 starred articles if I remember correctly. In the free version you can star an article and it gets synced back to the web app. Also when you star an article on the webapp that is currently on your device NR will sync that too, but NR will not go in the past and fetch older starred articles.

Toggling between show/hide read articles will hopefully be a one-tap operation in NewsRob 3.8+ (it will come together with sorting order).

It is conceptually easier to understand that all read articles are hidden or shown , even if it would be 3.9% more efficient for you if starred articles and notes were always shown for you.
        And the next guy would want to hide them, the other one only the notes. And then you want to have an option or two or three for that, that also adds to the complexity of the settings UI and of course the code.
        It just wouldn't be a good experience if NewsRob would add options for everything, even though some are very close to the heart of some user ...

Sorry.

• nmn.nmn. commented  · 

OK, I got it. Thanks. ;)

Anyway I think that the starred items should ALWAYS be shown, even if they have been read already (which the have been of course. ;) For me they are kind of like my favourites, so I think they should be accesable as easy as possible. And why is this feature limited to the RECENTLY starred items and doesnt sync with all starred items from Google Reader? :-)

• nmn.nmn. commented  · 

Uhm... Mariano, I don't know if I'm just too stupid, but... where?? lol

• nmn.nmn. commented  · 

Please add this feature soon. In my opinion this is the MOST missing feature atm. If you add this, you have convinced me and I'll buy the pro version. ;)

A widget/shortcut is not a must, I think. As a further possibility surely good, but an own list of all starred items which can be opened out of NewsRob is much more important.

Nevertheless really great work, Mariano!

• vonhusenvonhusen commented  · 

This is the feature I really miss, too.

Thanks for Newsrob, Mariano!

• Min KimMin Kim commented  · 

I think such a widget would work quite well, if it can't be integrated into the app interface.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base