I suggest you ...

Automatic mobile web page download for starred articles

I think it would de really useful to have the possibility to set automatic mobile web page download for starred articles. This setting should have nothing to deal with current feeds setting. It should be something related to starred articles only. This could be really helpful for people like me who normally read feed on the fly during the day while online and then, while getting back home on the subway, use to read offline what they have starred during the day.

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    aratheba shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JimsEvilTwin commented  · 

Agreed with this. I star interesting headlines, mark the whole feed/s as read, then later go through each starred article in detail. Would be nice if the starred items could all be downloaded with a single sync and/or in the background.

• porcellinux commented  · 

Hi, I've tried what you suggested about using beelicious. Well, not considering the fact that I had to waste time registering to delicious service, that I had to install another app (beelicious), set up everything thus to download those article in google reader, the worst thing I could notice is that this solution can be used only when you are online!!!
        Having the possibility to set a separate download option for starred items only would be much better 'cause I could sync them whenever I want, without being forced to stay online and connected!
        If only I could I'll add another vote to this one! :P

• porcellinux commented  · 

Yep, it would be great.
        I find it really useful when I have few time to read my feeds, and I star an article which seems to be interesting and then I sync. Later on it would be great to have it already downloaded as a web page!

• julien.contal commented  · 

Same here.
        I am using newsrob over the google reader website to manage with flaky connections (trains, subway, planes...).
        For uncomplete feeds, i am often interested in getting the whole destination article.
        I would like to be able to cache my starred articles web page destination (as in byline :)

• aratheba commented  · 

Hi, as I already wrote, this could be helpful considering that, most of the times, not every article in a feed is so interesting that you decide to make the whole feed downloading the web page (or mobile one) as default download behavior. Usually, reading the feed only is enough, you don't need the web page, sometimes the feed is that interesting that you want to know more about it and you need the web page. In such a case, it would be great if I could just star it and newsrob starts automatically downloading the web page (or mobile one....it depends on what I choose as default download action for starred items). Later on I could read the whole page without having even to do another sync.
        As you wrote, maybe I could use something like delicious, but why having to bother with another web service if I can do all by myself inside newsrob?
        Considering that this could be a user settings inside the setting pane, if someone does not need it, he just don't have to activate it!
        You asked me to be explicit about what to do with an article already having the web page and then marked with a star: well, I think it could be just left as is, with the web page.

• AdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Well, what I meant, articles that are not available as (mobile) web page I put on delicious and will read them later as (mobile) web page (see above).

• webreaper commented  · 

Articles I want to read later I, umm, mark unread.

;)

• AdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

I am not totally opposed to the idea, but I think that it would add a lot of user interface complexity.

Articles that I want to read later I bookmark in delicious (using share link / beelicious app) with the toread tag and I subscribe in Google Reader to the toread tag, which in NewsRob is set to "Feed Content + Mobile Web Page".

• aratheba commented  · 

Of course, it would be even better if you could choose into the setting pane if downloading mobile web page or the normal one and have the related setting for viewing it, I mean, if I choose for starred article to automatically download mobile web page, whenever I see a starred article I should view the mobile web page automatically.

Feedback and Knowledge Base