I suggest you ...

Allow swiping to switch between articles

As well as the big arrows to switch between articles, allow swiping left and right to switch between them

274 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Moof shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Henrik Heimbuerger commented  · 

I kinda agree with bookend, though. Maybe they should be moved down to the bottom on some kind of check (3.x+? tablet-sized? resolution above x?).

My main issue is not the size of the arrows, it's more the unpredictability. Bigger arrows would soften this problem a bit, but it doesn't really solve the core issue that holding a 10" tablet in a way to read for a longer time and regularly pressing them comfortably is almost impossible.
        Arrows at the bottom might be an improvement, although then you get the problem of the left one being too close to the back button on most 3.x+ devices (the RIL app had the same problem before it became Pocket and moved everything to the top).

• AdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Henrik, I see all those issues too. Currently I think it is doable, but we'll see. Otherwise I will find another fallback.

That the current arrows are so small is because I used arrows from a Google app, that doesn't seem to offer them in bigger sizes or they weren't available because it took Google ages to release the source code. Don't remember which it was. I'll have another look when I implement his and as a fall back draw some myself in all sizes and resolutions, like the action bar icons.

Bookend, not sure about making something like the configurable. More options make NewsRob harder to use, not easier.

• bookend commented  · 

Would you please enable to choose location of arrows until swiping is implemented? I need arrows to be bottom of a screen.

• Henrik Heimbuerger commented  · 

I also pretty much got used to the Chrome swiping and can perform it predictably, at least on the phone. I'm not sure how well it works on a 10" tablet. It's such an elementary operation for NewsRob. Then again, anything's better for a tablet than the current arrows, which are just too small and unpredictable on 10".

Chrome does the swiping nicely, but it looks really hard to implement, in particular with the visual feedback (which probably requires some 3D work with the GPU). But without the visual feedback it doesn't work at all, see Pocket, which has article swiping but it feels totally unnatural (I had to turn it off).

• AdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

It's not coming next, because of other things like the actual next release and the ICS release, but meanwhile I like the way that Chrome solved the swipe ambiguity problem, by defining swipe areas.

I think I will eventually implement it this way, if I can pull it off.

• Aelon commented  · 

Is there anything happening about swiping? Without it, other rss readers will be far ahead.

• Andreas Heidrich commented  · 

Switched to a Galaxy Nexus now. I love the interface but using NewsRob still without swyping feature to switch between articles feels old fashioned on this device. Please play one hour with an Galaxy Nexus and repeat that you will not implement the swype feature (you won't ;-) )

• KC commented  · 

How about swiping with two fingers goes to the next/previous article, so that we can still scroll with one finger ?

• bookend commented  · 

I am waiting for swiping. Any updates?

• Nikolay commented  · 

Please check android 3.0 browser with enabled labs -> quick controls.
        Probably it will give an idea of how articles switching may be improved.

• Song commented  · 

couldn't agree more,that's more intuitive.

• Jay commented  · 

I think swiping left and right to move to the next article would be very doable. If feeds were somehow formatted and locked to the width of the column, you wouldn't loose any functionality, and it would drastically increase your feed reading speed.

Actually I think it would kill 2 birds with one stone - its annoying when feed text misbehaves and can rock from side to side when swiping up and down to read the feed, particularly on phones with highly sensitive touch screens like the nexus s.

While the existing left right buttons are ok, I would like a swipe, feels more natural than stabbing at a button. The original could be left and swiping added as an option under settings.

• rich commented  · 

Along these lines, using the volume control for next/previous would also be great.

• Samkit commented  · 

I don't feel swiping should be allowed as sometime when fonts are big then articles span more than a screen. That time swiping comes to help to scroll articles left/right/bottom/up.

• RSR commented  · 

How about user defined arrow - top, middle, or bottom? Simple. I'd really prefer them to be toward the bottom of the screen, as I find I hit them the way they are in the middle inadvertently.

• tris_r commented  · 

I don't really like the idea of swiping in a defined area, especially the header as that is a long way from where I hold the phone.

I think someone mentioned it before, but dolphin browser has a nice way of handling horiz scroll and slide to next frame. Once you move to the edge of the page there is a bit of "resistance" and then it slowly slides to the next screen. In dolphin it is now a menu system, but used to be the next tab.

• dmitri.soloviev commented  · 

Ok, You've convinced me. Swiping inside the article detail area will be good solution. I'll vote for this :-)

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base