I suggest you ...

Add a "Night Mode" Theme (white text on black background)

I do a lot of reading in the dark before bed, but staring at a white background is like looking into a flashlight.
It would be great to be able to change the theme from white to black to make everything easier on the eyes.

110 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jayson Dela Cruz shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) responded  · 

Hey guys. There is almost no feature where I couldn’t invest more time to make it better, but there are also other features waiting to be created.

That’s the reason we have this whole voting scheme.

I will mark this as completed now.

This frees up your votes and you submit a new feature suggestion and vote for it.

You can link to the new suggestion in the comments here and if you are reasonable quick about it you will reach a lot of people with at least three free votes and an interest in themes ;-)

You could submit a suggestion for another theme with brighter whites?

Or submit a feature suggestion that it should be possible to toggle quickly between the themes. I can’t say if I can implement that (without having to re-open the screen again), but I would check it out.

Also integrating the Froyo/Android 2.2 night time mode switch might be interesting enough to submit a suggestion.

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LaughingJohn commented  · 

Also like to see brighter text please...

• Tim commented  · 

I agree with bspaulding - I would also like to use this in daytime (and at night, I can just toggle the brightness right down on the entire display). Having white text would be great.

• bspaulding commented  · 

Bravo! This is a great addition. My only request for a future release is that the user have the option to control the font "brightness" (or, rather, shade of gray). I prefer this theme for daytime use - not just night time, and having white text would be more desirable in that case.

• Tim commented  · 

The only feature that newsrob needs to be the best, as far as I'm concerned!

• Jayson Dela Cruz commented  · 

Could you perhaps implement a way to turn the display darkness down past the systems minimum levels? Or like the clock app and just darken all the pixels on the screen?

• Max commented  · 

Great idea. It might be easier, and even better - instead of inverting black and white - to change the white background to a a medium orange, because it's mostly the blue light that produces glare and keeps you awake.

• Alex commented  · 

yes!
        for some reasons locale can't adjust the brightness of my screen and when I wake up in the morning and I want to read a few articles, the white background is so bright it hurts my eyes. lol.

• Ben Anderson commented  · 

Yes! This would be a great feature and the single biggest improvement to the app! I do much of my reading at night and the inverted color scheme is so much easier on the eyes!

• Jayson Dela Cruz commented  · 

By "theme" i mean the rss view and the simple, text and image only view. I understand that it is impossible to get the full view to change color.

Feedback and Knowledge Base