I suggest you ...

Scroll title header out of view when reading article

Apps like the Browser scroll the top header out of view when the user scrolls down in a web page. This saves valuable screen space, especially in landscape mode. It would be nice to have this in NewsRob.

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    caleb.marcuscaleb.marcus shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mariano KampAdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Iliyan, you can't vote because it set it to completed when I implemented the full screen mode.

I keep the configuration option in mind to always open in full screen mode.

• Iliyan GeorgievIliyan Georgiev commented  · 

I don't see the option to vote for this idea anymore. I really want to be able to scroll away the header.

Or can we at least have the option to automatically switch to full-screen mode when opening an article?

• Iliyan GeorgievIliyan Georgiev commented  · 

I fully agree, this is a must-have feature. Currently in 4.2 we have two modes - normal and full-screen. I'd actually like to have only 1 mode where the header scrolls out of the view when I scroll down the page. Alternatively, I also don't mind having the option to turn off the header altogether. Now when I open an article I always first tap twice on the screen to go full-screen and then start reading, because the header annoys me.

• Ryan BRyan B commented  · 

hey mariano! i'm using 4.2, and i don't see the title headers scroll out of view as described here. when you marked this complete and implemented in 4.0, were you referring to full screen mode?

• Ivan VolosyukIvan Volosyuk commented  · 

What about LinearLayout in ScrollView with header and the WebView. I made a quick experiment and it works fine. What are the issues you have with the approach?

• jhuesosjhuesos commented  · 

This is a must have feature for me, too!

What I could investigate is if you could use a double tap to toggle in and out of a full screen mode.
        The issue I have with this, is that it is undiscoverable.
        I am aware that you, how read this here, would then know about it, but I would prefer a solution that is intuitively discoverable without me telling it.

The scrolling would've been such a solution.

I think when we gather enough votes here I'll investigate again if I can somehow make the scrolling working, otherwise I'll investigate the double tap toggle approach.

• Alex PoonAlex Poon commented  · 

This is absolutely crucial, I don't mean to sound too critical but this is my biggest irk with newsrob. All the newsreaders on the iphone (which btw other than this are inferior to newsrob) hide the interface to maximize your screen estate for reading. In fact sometimes I feel so frustrated by the bar taking up space I open the article in xscope so that I can view the article in a way that uses 100% of the screen. Please, refining the reading experience will provide so much more benefits than adding new features because it is so fundamental to what newsrob is all about.

• MaxMax commented  · 

Yepp, this is vital. In horizontal mode screen real estate is further diminished because the star and the web/feed marker sit on top of each other, making the title bar twice as tall as it could be. The scroll out of view solution would do away with the need to fix this.

• stari4ekstari4ek commented  · 

oh my! oh my!
        this is most important feature in whole list.
        I'd like to put all my votes to it =)

I just wrote an hour ago as a response to a blog comment:

"I agree.
        I first thought I could put the header into the scrolling webview, but this is not possible.
        My second try was to hide the header when scrolling down and show it again when the user scrolls back up. Unfortunately I don't know how
        to do that: http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/25e71d732c4cf97f/b6459e9d0a49dc10?"

Ok, if we get enough votes to bubble up this feature request I will think about different approaches. I will check the source code to the browser app, but I suspect that they don't use standard widgets, but instead manipulate webkit itself.

Feedback and Knowledge Base