I suggest you ...

Download Alt Text for Images and display from the context menu

Sites like xkcd make use of alt text with the images. It would be very nice to be able to view this text within NR. an option in the context menu would work very well for this.

136 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ttabbal shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Branton Davis commented  · 

It's not just xkcd that does this. Loads of web comics do it (wondermark, dinosaur comics, etc.). Getting them all to change the mobile display seems unlikely.

• Konr Ness commented  · 

FWIW, the official Google Reader app supports displaying the image alt text. Long-click on the image and select "View Caption".

• shitwizard commented  · 

If your program uses CSS, you can do this easily (something like img[title] { after:content:attr(title)} ... I think that's the correct syntax. Also, it's not ALT text. It's TITLE. ALT is intended to describe the picture (like for blind people, or whatever) and TITLE is intended to be the name of the picture or a caption of sorts.

• Henrik Heimbuerger commented  · 

Funny that you say that, because I wrote me a Greasemonkey script that displays the tiptext below the image years ago. ;)

But yeah, you're right. Don't parse the HTML. If WebKit doesn't provide access to the tooltips, then by all means, decline this suggestion.

• AdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Henrik, I understand that. That's the reason I didn't decline this suggestion and if it bubbles up I will see what I can do to implement it. It is not easy though as I don't really have access to the underlying WebKit implementation and may have to parse the html for that myself.
        My point is that instead of posting here the suggestion should go to XKCD to provide the hint in a more mobile friendly way. I would even be ok with them using JavaScript for that.

• Henrik Heimbuerger commented  · 

Well, from a design standpoint, of course you're right, Mariano. But I think in the case of xkcd, it's more of in in-joke. It's a game basically, you reveal bonus content by figuring this out.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's worth investing much time into NR development just to support this one site's joke.

• kirushik commented  · 

xkcd loses half the sense without tooltips!

Feedback and Knowledge Base