I suggest you ...

provide an option to turn off the toolbar.

The new toolbar is a nice concept, but I just don't think it's as useful as intended. It takes up quite a bit of room; on occasion I find myself accidentally pressing the buttons. Between the toolbar and the ads we've recently lost 1/8 of our screens in list views. We should simply be able to revert to how things once were.

77 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bradlee shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Max, for this particular issue I will very likely provide the option to not have a toolbar, toolbar at the top and toolbar at the bottom.

• Max commented  · 

Humm, just realized this refers to the wrong toolbar tree for barking up. Will leave the previous post for now before I start looking for the right tree.
        Re. *this* toolbar, well, I guess the controls would be better placed the bottom of the screen, for thumb length reasons; personally I would prefer them in the context menu

• Max commented  · 

This continues to drive me absolutely nuts. I don't know if I'm a particularly claustrophobic type, but I simply cannot bear reading an article with the toolbar restricting my field of vision. I must now have double tapped the screen a trillion times, and every single time it annoys me.
        Full screen should really be selectable as default, maybe together with a view that keeps the Android bar visible.
        I understand that the toolbar is necessary for some vital controls, but in my eyes those should show up in the context menu anyway.

• webreaper commented  · 

Balazs, double-tap the article, and it switches to full-screen mode with no titlebar.

This feature request is for the titlebar in the article list.

• Balazs Szabo commented  · 

I'm not sure whether or not this request is about hiding the article title or some other toolbar. I have a problem with the article title: when I watch photos in landscape mode, then it just occupies too much space. So I would like hide it. It just ruins the browsing experience very much...

• dr0fnax commented  · 

Toolbar looks surprisingly ok when using night mode. Main reason I dislike it was because it's too eye-catchy.

• Kev OR commented  · 

"Kev, what's your take on Google putting a similar toolbar, now called actionbar, also on top, into the official Twitter client?"

:o
        I take it all back!

lol, I hadn't heard that. Unfortunately I'm interpreting the Android UX through a Donut-shaped lens and I don't have access to the official Twitter client yet. And I presume you mean Twitter not Google?

I'm trying to figure out why I'm opposed, to be honest. As I said below, my feelings aren't very strong - I'd just probably be happier to have an option to turn it off. Maybe it's the stretch of the thumb needed to hit the buttons? The only other time I use that moment is to drop down the dock...

• webreaper commented  · 

The toolbar in the official Google Twitter app is a huge space of real-estate and serves no real purpose.

That said, perhaps you should re-design Newrob's toolbar to have the smaller buttons on the RHS and not overlapping the titlebar which looks messy.

FYI, I've been using the toolbar version since the first beta (couple of months now?) and have used the toolbar no more than a handful of times. The actions on it are ones that I use rarely, so having them two taps away (i.e., via the menu) would not be an issue. So from my user perspective, I've lost screen real-estate and gained nothing.

Kev, what's your take on Google putting a similar toolbar, now called actionbar, also on top, into the official Twitter client?

• Kev OR commented  · 

It doesn't bother me massively, I can't say i really miss the real estate... but it just looks a little funky. I always thought NR had such a pure, beautiful Androidy look and feel... but the toolbar is so non-native. In function too... perhaps options should more logically be placed on top, but it just feels wrong. :(

• Loststylus commented  · 

The toolbar is useless (i don't think, that someone uses the featured toolbar functions often) and conserves a lot of useful space.

• webreaper commented  · 

Have to say, I agree. I've been using the toolbar for several weeks now, and I still hit 'Menu' to Mark-as-read or to refresh. I've had plenty of time for the muscle-memory to adjust, but I guess with every other app using the android menu key, it's utterly ingrained in me to hit menu when I want extra functions (particularly ones that I only use once a day or less).

I'll vote for this to be switch-offable, but I understand Mariano sees this as the way forward and is reticent about adding an option to put in menu items which he's just removed.

• dr0fnax commented  · 

I think toolbar looks awful and, well, not-native. And it eats up usefull screen space. And I rarely use these features.
        Something just died inside of me when I updated NewsRob and saw toolbar for the first time.

Well, first of all every option adds complexity for the user and the implementor. Complexity and options lead to more bugs and also to more code to maintain (version a and version b) as well as the switch code. When this happens to be an option on code that already features options that complexity tends to grow exponentially.

One example from this case, not using the menu toolbar means that I need to offer options per menu with all its metadata and using the Android lifecycle calls (plural) and also provide the same for the buttons that I use in the toolbar.

Well, most people don't even seem to care that much that they come here for the voting. They also didn't try the toolbar for an extended period of time.
        I have the feeling that most people like the new toolbar (usually the people with strong feelings comment, not the people who like something or believe it is ok) and changing it will cost the majority of the users.

At the end of the day this forum is visited fairly regular and I expect more people to vote for it. If so, I will add the option and also would add an option to put the toolbar to the bottom. Btw. As you asked, putting it to the bottom would mean additional icons and code, not just one parameter change.

Can we leave it this way for a moment? Answering short questions with long mails also distracts me from the development job ;-)))

• beerfu commented  · 

Mariano,
        I'm curious what the cost is exactly. Based on market comments, the toolbar seems to be a fairly polarizing issue. Either you like it, or hate it. Normally comments are "awesome" or "some bug or other on my phone". The comments about the toolbar however are criticizing a particular feature, which seems like something that would warrant having as an option. it feels more like an "everyone wins" scenario instead of forcing toolbar haters to roll back to previous versions of NewsRob.

As for the visuals/icons, I'll mock something up for you. I'll post it on my website, then post a comment on here letting you know it's up.

Beerfu,
        if options came without a cost I would go for it right away.
        But this option comes at a steep price: I am still absolutely willing to do that. However I want to see that this is an issue for many people, so that the cost that everybody will pay for it is justified. We can gauge the interest here.

Btw. if you have a hint for the visual quality I am listening. In particular I would also be interested in a better idea for the show/hide (solid circle, hollow circle). It's really not self explanatory, but it the best I was able to come up with so far.

Jhuesos, thanks.

• beerfu commented  · 

The toolbar is not of high visual quality, and take us valuable screen real estate. Some people may like it, which is fine. That's why it should be an option. Please both camps of people.

• jhuesos commented  · 

I think the new toolbar is great!! Very useful and it requires a very little space.

Feedback and Knowledge Base