I suggest you ...

place the toolbar an the bottom

I cant reach it with my thumb, so i have to use newsrob with two hands now in order to get quickly through my rss-news. so that you can make it bigger the titlebar also has to be at the bottom. And Admob must go to the top to seperate it from the toolbar.

From the dev: Please give the following some considerations and voice your opinion in the comments: "And could you also state there if you want it above or below the ads and why?
Also the status/title bar should stay at the top, right?
So to make the toolbar's touch area as big the current toolbar, the buttons need to grow to the double size, right? What to do with the extra space there? Put titles on it or just grow the icons?"

114 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    André DiringerAndré Diringer shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mariano KampAdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Josef, I seem to have longer fingers than you do. Also the "standard way", if there is such a thing on Android, is to have it on top, e.g. the official twitter app developed by Google.

Anyway, in a future version there will be the options: top, bottom, hide. But it's not a small change and I can't say when it will happen. I originally wanted to wait for Google to release the code of the twitter app, so that I would adopt the official way, but the wait might be too long.

• JosefJosef commented  · 

Please place the toolbar at the bottom and I will buy the pro version. This is so discomfortable, I use my phone just with one hand, not two, and you...?

• MarioMario commented  · 

I can't reach to the action bar too. One more that thinks that an option to put it at the bottom would be really nice.

Thanks for this fantastic application. I use it everyday :)

• nforsansnforsans commented  · 

Keep it as it is - it wouldn't look good at the bottom and I too have big fingers but i never experienced any problem while using it.

The action bar will not go away.

Right now the action bar's touch area extends into the title bar, which has the benefit of eating up less screen estate and still gives us big touch areas.

My **current** way of thinking is that I will not do that anymore. It gave me hours and hours of trouble and I thought it was worth it, but now that it seems I need to support different placements I don't want to through that again. It's just not sustainable.

Instead I would decouple the title bar and the action bar. The action bar would then grow, say by 50%, which is still not that much.
        The action bar could then by option be :"top", "bottom", "off".

Not sure where to place the title bar. Most likely with "top" I would place it below the action bar, because some people complain that they hit the action bar by accident when the touch the first row of the list. Never happened to me, but heard from more than one user.

In case of "off" I will likely let the title bar stay at the top too. Still thinking about "bottom". Maybe also leaving the title bar at the top then. It's the context of the whole list and western and eastern people start at the top when processing input.

• Michael HaistenMichael Haisten commented  · 

Whatever you do, please ignore folks who want the action bar gone. It is one of the best productivity features you have introduced for your most frequent users. Keep it and leave it at the top if you must but keep it. I am a Nexus One user so I understand the concerns some folks have regarding possible conflict with the touch sensitive buttons at the bottom. Yet the long reach to the top of the Nexus One screen is a pain one handed. My preference is to see the title bar at the bottom with the action bar above it. This allows room for the touch button space to span the two lower bars. Yes, this means the list goes all the way to the top with no border. Some might think (as you seem to) that this is aesthetically unappealing. Me, I am a function over form kind of guy. I use Newsrob on average for an hour a day to consume news. Need a high function tool. Thank you.

I seem to have extra large hands (which is kind of true) or I hold the phone differently. In my case I can reach above the top of the Nexus One with my thumb.

Anyway, I am ok with doing either this or the other proposal, but I don't really know what is the best way to do it. See the other comment I wrote before.

• Hector MartinezHector Martinez commented  · 

It's about one-handed navigation. To stretch your thumb up to the top of the screen is uncomfortable. Your thumb is naturally at the bottom so that it's not in the way of the screen. So at least make this an option.

Omahn, I think the toolbar at the top makes the most sense, because of its space economics.
        So putting the toolbar at the bottom would only be an option. Hence the N1 users could chose not to activate it.

I am more concerned about the space issues involved when placing it at the bottom. Should I move the complete toolbar including the title?
        Should I let the title stay on top and enlarge the toolbar at the bottom, so that the size of the touchable areas stays the same? This would mean new graphics etc, (different sizes).
        Or should I forget about the integration of the toolbar and the title and just eat the bullet and enlarge the icons to their touch size?!

• omahnomahn commented  · 

I'm a huge fan of the toolbar but like the original poster, it does make operating NewsRob tricky with only one hand. Having said that, moving the toolbar to the bottom may be problematic to Nexus One owners as the 'touch sensitive' buttons on the phone utilise the very bottom of the touchscreen to operate and result in Nexus One users accidentally hitting unintended buttons. (This is a Nexus One flaw obviously, but it would make the newsrob toolbar hit and miss if it was at the bottom.)

• Mario RuprechtMario Ruprecht commented  · 

Same here: Upper left corner is very difficullt to reach with the right thumb, taht's my only reason voting for this ;-)

• HeathHeath commented  · 

Also, I constantly hit back on the phone, which is on the bottom, so it is uncomfortable and nonintuitive, to hit buttons both on top of the app and at the bottom. If there was a back button, say in place of the sort, and "all articles" was two rows, then I could better use the current layout.

• HeathHeath commented  · 

It is too easy to hit one of the buttons on the toolbar when trying to hit "all articles". That is the main problem.

I am mot convinced that it looks good to have the status at the bottom?! The alternative would be to decouple the status bar and the toolbar to keep it at the top and make the toolbar higher and put it to the bottom.

You want the ads above the toolbar. That would for me. Still I am interested in the reasoning behind this.

Thanks for submitting it. I will post the url of this suggestion to the blog.

Feedback and Knowledge Base