I suggest you ...

Sync only when plugged in

I've tried setting to sync only when on WiFi, but what I'm really trying to save is battery life and not bandwidth. Syncing when charging would work better since I could keep from killing the battery when travelling or missing syncs when I can't find WiFi.

90 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    gblinckmanngblinckmann shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • frantixfrantix commented  · 

This feature would be great!

• Arran NobleArran Noble commented  · 

Would love to see a sync on charging only feature. Battery drain is bad enough on my phone without making it worse with A+I+Full syncing drain when away from a charger.

• Adrian LyonsAdrian Lyons commented  · 

I don't turn wifi on that much, mostly when I am at home. I did grab a util that turns my wifi on when it is pugged in (again normally when I am at home and sleeping) and will turn wifi off when unplugged. I then set Newsrob to only DL over wifi. Works pretty good for me. The util is called "WiFi Power Manager".

Hope it helps

• webreaperwebreaper commented  · 

Yes. My sync is triggered at 4am every weekday, and 5pm every weekday. I don't read my RSS feed over the weekend, so don't require a sync on Saturdays or Sundays.

I'd ideally like a "manual" setting in the sync frequency, which equates to "never ever ever automatically sync on a schedule - only ever sync when I click the refresh button or when Tasker initiates a sync".

• webreaperwebreaper commented  · 

As Mariano mentions, this can be done with Setting Profiles or Tasker. I use the latter, and have it set up to sync at 4am every morning, but only when I'm at home and when I have a wifi connection.

Unfortunately, because Newsrob doesn't have a 'never' sync frequency setting, it's not possible to *only* have it sync via external triggers (since, at the max setting, it will still sync every 24 hours). But that's something I'm sure Mariano is going to fix eventually (a sync frequency of "once a week" would solve this for me).

• dc.disconnectdc.disconnect commented  · 

Once upload-only sync (http://uservoice.com/a/mfW6F) is done, you could accomplish this with Locale triggers very easily. (Time, Battery: Charging). As it is, you can get close with locale as above and 'auto-sync' set to once a day, then accept that occasionally it will decide to sync anyway.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

An "early bird function" would be great too: syncing just at a specific time, like just before waking up so my feeds are fresh baked to wake me up in the morning, actually that's the only auto refresh I really need... I wander if ot is just me or other users would find it useful as well.

• stormfirestormfire commented  · 

Ooo, yes. This. I have chargers all over the place, but don't want the offline reader draing the battery when I'm away from them on the bus, or in the park, etc.

• Mariano KampAdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

Hard to say. Definitively not as easy as putting percentages on an article count.

It mostly depends on the sync duration and the size of the web sites. Or in other words, with fast website and download type "A+I" you get long battery life, with slow web sites and download type "A+I+Full Web Page" you get a short battery life.

• Jayson Dela CruzJayson Dela Cruz commented  · 

This would be a great feature. How much battery percentage does syncing usually eat up? I just synced and downloaded 32 articles and my battery drained about 6%. Normal? G1 Rooted

• Mariano KampAdminMariano Kamp (Admin, newsrob) commented  · 

It's easy to implement the actual functionality ;-), but it's hard to do the user story and all the configurations right ;( But we'll get there when this is voted up.

• gblinckmanngblinckmann commented  · 

Google Listen, for example, has check boxes for both "Only while charging" and "Only on Wi-Fi".

Feedback and Knowledge Base