I suggest you ...

Add page Down function to the volume button navigation

I often wind up reading long articles on the standing-room only Sardine can that is my commute bus.

I would love if we could use the volume buttons for single finger reading, much like the spacebar in the Google Reader website. Page down until the end of the article, then the next press would go to the next article.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    stormfire shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Wayne commented  · 

I desperately want this feature also!! Could do the same as Amazon kindle were if you short tapped the right side of the screen it would move a page forward, and tap the left side of the screen to move a page backward.

• tris_r commented  · 

I came back here to enter this exact suggestion and was unsurprised to see great ideas already being discussed.
        I find that I never use the vol rocker as I have to change position if I want to page down a longer article. I've voted for the implementation that stormfire suggested, but think that a global option for turning on the behaviour would cover all use cases.

• Henrik Heimbuerger commented  · 

It is very difficult to get this right without negatively affecting existing functionality. It is being discussed on https://groups.google.com/group/newsrob/browse_thread/thread/bb16a8f0aa54082e. Please follow the thread and join the discussion if you can improve on the ideas there.

I'll try to summarize the current concept (obviously with a bias):

Using the volume rocker for paging and only jumping to the next article when you have reached the end would completely break quick scanning of feeds where you want to only selectively read articles.

Making this a feed-specific option is generally deemed too unintuitive and cumbersome, plus adds complexity in usability and maintainabilty.

One idea is that short-pressing the volume keys would switch articles and holding them for a certain time (Mariano initially suggested 350ms) would cause it to page up/down.

Follow the mailing list for future betas potentially exploring this concept.

• Joe commented  · 

I would give it 1000 votes if I could

• Luis Larrea commented  · 

I suppose if you wanted to implement this then you could have a option is settings allowing the user to switch from "Next/Prev" to "Page Up/Down" but I'd rather see it stay the same. Customizations are nice but not when they create fragmentation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base